Welcome to the humble homepage of:
Frans P. de Vries
- System administrator and programmer.
- News editor, filemeister and proofreader (retired).
- Co-founded (in 1996) and maintained 3D Gamers (until February
2007), the most comprehensive download site for 3D Games in all game
categories, with official demos, patches, screenshots, movies and other
relevant files collected per game title for a comfortable overview.
- Back-up and side-kick in sysadmin-related tasks on both sites.
Former Walnut Creek (ftp.cdrom.com) Activities, now hosted at Gamers.Org Community Archives:
Former Newsgroup Activities:
- Supported the
Rec.Games.Computer.Doom newsgroups from their creation in November 1994 through 1999.
Here are the regularly posted articles that I maintained:
- Another regularly posted article for these groups is maintained by
- In December 1998, on occasion of DOOM's fifth birthday, I wrote a
brief account of the history of the DOOM ASCII
logo and related works, as well as the until-then-unpublished id Software ASCII logo.
- Back in 1995, I developed DMPSMU, the DooM PostScript Maps
Utility, which, as the name implies, allows you to print PostScript
maps of DOOM, DOOM II, Ultimate DOOM and Heretic levels. Download here (199
- Also in 1995, I developed DMTXLS, a DooM TeXtures
LiSter, which allows you to generate cross-reference lists of the
wall textures and flats used in levels in DOOM, DOOM II, Ultimate DOOM
and Heretic. Download
here (110 KB).
- During 1994, I contributed a variety of info to Hank Leukart's DOOM and DOOM II FAQ, including the
aforementioned ASCII logo.
- Further back, in 1993, I created a set of plain-ASCII maps for
Wolfenstein 3-D and Spear of Destiny. Download here (65
KB). These maps were printed by the WMAP program (16 KB) using
files also created by me. Download here
- My very first Internet activities in 1993 consisted of a series of
contributions to Stan Stasiak's Wolfenstein 3-D and Spear of Destiny FAQ, later maintained by Adam Williamson.
Online Friends :-)
- John Van Essen, my oldest friend, in both senses of the word.
- Piotr Kapiszewski, another long-time friend, usually way too busy with real-life chores.
- Matthias Rauhut, watch out - he'll patch you right up. And your game too.
- Ty Halderman (R.I.P.), all-around DOOM busy-body and purveyor of TeamTNT-ities.
- Stephen Heaslip, master of the Blue-colored news universe.
- Jason Bergman, the looniest webmaster around.
- Raphaël Quinet, coding buff and master of everything DEU. Gimpy kinda guy, too.
- Gilles Masson, the FASTest TrackManiac.
Copyright © 1996-2016 – Frans P. de Vries
Last updated 23-May-2016