Visible-Surface Determination

Derek Nickel (dnickel@ccnet.com)
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 22:00:34 -0800

From: Derek Nickel <dnickel@ccnet.com>
To: "'quake-editing@nvg.unit.no'" <quake-editing@nvg.unit.no>
Subject: Visible-Surface Determination
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 22:00:34 -0800

I came across an article that I thought might be of interest:

"Inside Quake: Visible-Surface Determination"
by Michael Abrash
Dr. Dobb's Sourcebook, January/February 1996, #255
Ramblings In Real Time, pp. 41-45

This article talks about pushing past the unconscious limits that are often=
set in a project. It then goes on to describe the various techniques that=
John Carmack tried out while developing his visible-surface determination =
and culling algorithms (VSD) in Quake. This includes a description of the =
potentially visible set (PVS) , a.k.a. visibility lists, on page 45.

Derek Nickel