Forward: qtest1 editing

Sun, 7 Apr 1996 20:31:10 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 20:31:10 +0200 (MET DST)
To: quake-editing@nvg.unit.no
Subject: Forward: qtest1 editing

Forwarded to quake-editing, from e-mail reply, with permission

From: John Carmack <johnc@idnewt.idsoftware.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 96

You wrote:
> From: larsen@sal.cs.utah.edu (Steve Larsen)
> Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.quake.editing
> > I just asked John Carmack if I could release a Quake level
> > editor, and he said yes.
>
> Would you mind to confirm this?
> I would like to post the confirmation to the Quake Developers
> mailing list.

I am looking forward to the user communities activities with Quake.
Certainly there will be some wasted effort in targeting the test
release instead of the final version, but it will build usefull
skills relevant to the final product. I plan on releasing a lot of
source code after we ship, but please don't press me for it sooner.

> However, consesus was that, taking the accidental release of the
> models into account,

All I can ask is that you please not place monsters, because I really
didn't mean to have that half-ass code visible to the public.

> no such tool should be released to the public.
>
> Next: while the BSP might still change, is the same true for your
> CSG representation used for editing, and with qbsp, vis, light? It
> will be next to impossible to have anybody agree on a file format
> for distribution and editing - if those file formats are stable
> already, is there any chance of you releasing info now?

Our .map format that QuakeEd generates hasn't changed in over six
months, which is the real strength of non-game-related editors.
The BSP format has changed (literally) over a dozen times since.
The world will be a better place if everyone just uses our source
format... Once again, I plan to release lots of related source
when we ship.

John Carmack

Within the same mail, he provided some additional informaton, which
is available at http://www.nero.uni-bonn.de/~dn/q-sup/id_info/ b.