Re: Quake map distribution: speed vs. legality

Alex R. Moon (amoon@odin.mdn.com)
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 13:20:42 -0500 (EST)

From: amoon@odin.mdn.com (Alex R. Moon)
Subject: Re: Quake map distribution: speed vs. legality
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 13:20:42 -0500 (EST)

Bernd Kreimeier wrote:
> Distribution of MAP files is useful if one wants the level to
> be modified and edited by others. Automatic generation of
> MAP from BSP is a nice task we could tackle along with
> generating MAP from DOOM level descriptions.
>
> Distribution of BSP files w/o mipmaps lump requires a lookup
> assigning indices (as used in surfaces, generated by qbsp) to
> textures (as defined in the MAP file). It is no good idea
> to distribute this lookup separately. The current proposal is
> to add
>
> "_texture" " 1 WALL54_0"
>
> lines to the entities lump in the BSP. These will not be
> deleted by qbsp, and will be ignored by Quake. To use this
> approach with qtest1, these lines would have to be deleted
> after adding the mipmaps, to prevent warnings or errors.

But a lookup table mechanism for textures already exists in the BSP
format. If you just use the mipmaps lump with dummy textures (textures
with a name like WALL54_0 and an implied index by their position in the
lump, but a size of 0x0 and no actual texture data) then a utility program
can go through and replace all dummy textures with real textures from the
quake BSP files based on the names of the dummy textures. There is no need
to clutter up the entities lump with redundant data.

--
Alex R. Moon                | "A university is what a college become when the
amoon@odin.mdn.com          |  faculty loses interest in students."