Re: Quake map distribution: speed vs. legality

Sat, 20 Apr 1996 20:36:35 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Subject: Re: Quake map distribution: speed vs. legality
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 20:36:35 +0200 (MET DST)

> If you just use the mipmaps lump with dummy textures (textures
> with a name like WALL54_0 and an implied index by their position in the
> lump, but a size of 0x0 and no actual texture data) then a utility program
> can go through and replace all dummy textures with real textures from the
> quake BSP files based on the names of the dummy textures.

You are perfectly right. Somehow I entirely forgot about the "name"
entry in the mipmaps lump. Too much sysad work last week, I guess.

It might be a good idea to set the version index in the BSP header to
some value unused and unknown to Quake, to keep it from loading a
distribution BSP (let's call it dBSP for convenience sake).

We could write a tool to "strip" a BSP file, creating a dBSP, and test
it with the qtest1 BSP files (no practical use, as we should not
distribute, but nice to test it already). Same for the "add_mip". Neat.

Now I wonder wether those "_entries" are good for anything...