Re: Quake map distribution: speed vs. legality

Uffe Friis Lichtenberg (uffefl@diku.dk)
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 21:19:25 +0200 (METDST)

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 21:19:25 +0200 (METDST)
From: Uffe Friis Lichtenberg <uffefl@diku.dk>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Quake map distribution: speed vs. legality

On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Bernd Kreimeier wrote:

> > If you just use the mipmaps lump with dummy textures (textures
> > with a name like WALL54_0 and an implied index by their position in the
> > lump, but a size of 0x0 and no actual texture data) then a utility program
> > can go through and replace all dummy textures with real textures from the
> > quake BSP files based on the names of the dummy textures.
>
> You are perfectly right. Somehow I entirely forgot about the "name"
> entry in the mipmaps lump. Too much sysad work last week, I guess.
>
> It might be a good idea to set the version index in the BSP header to
> some value unused and unknown to Quake, to keep it from loading a
> distribution BSP (let's call it dBSP for convenience sake).

I still think that having a format for the dBSP files that would allow
them to be playable (though ugly to look at) would be the best solution.

> We could write a tool to "strip" a BSP file, creating a dBSP, and test
> it with the qtest1 BSP files (no practical use, as we should not
> distribute, but nice to test it already). Same for the "add_mip". Neat.

Shouldn't be so difficult really. As long as people who add textures
assign them new names... But isn't this (almost) exactly what Thingy does?

> Now I wonder wether those "_entries" are good for anything...

?

See previous posting... They sure could be used for a lot of creative
things. Just put your mind to it :)

Zonk,
Uffe. [uphfe]
uffefl@diku.dk

--
"This .signature hasn't been left unintentionally void of blankness"