To seam or not to seam...
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 10:41:52 +0200

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 10:41:52 +0200
Subject: To seam or not to seam...

Two of my friends and myself are learning 3D through making
Quake .MDL viewer :). Of course we know a bit about 3D (all
sorting algorithms, free-dir.text.mapping, env.mapping,
Lamert/Gouraud/Phong, etc.), but yet we have a little
trouble with .MDL files...

1. On-seam, off-seam. We get the idea. To make textures
linked seamless. Okay. There is a boolean. Okay. So
we know which vertexes are on-seam, and which are not.
But how to use this information in practice? I guess
it has something to do with the fact that back texture
is put on width/2...
2. Hmmm... A bit strange that noone made his own .MDL file
yet. Of course there are a lot of home-made .MDLs (even
the one with player as Duke Nukem...), but noone did
it from scratch. Some people made whole new levels, but
noone did monsters... Any ideas where lies the most
difficult part of making 3D sprites (so to speak :)?
3. Now something for fun: it is suspected, that monsters
gfx data will contain much more info that now. But now
I can't think of anything else we would want! We have
textures (and we're not restricted to one per monster),
we have 'removable', independent body parts, we have
information about the light, we have animations (in which
we can even morph our monsters)... What more can one do
with it?!

Any hints, especially for 1st questions, will be very
appreciated. Thanks...

Adrian Chmielarz