Re: To seam or not to seam...

Brian K. Martin (brian@phyast.pitt.edu)
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 09:28:35 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Brian K. Martin" <brian@phyast.pitt.edu>
Subject: Re: To seam or not to seam...
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 09:28:35 -0400 (EDT)

> 1. On-seam, off-seam. We get the idea. To make textures
> linked seamless. Okay. There is a boolean. Okay. So
> we know which vertexes are on-seam, and which are not.
> But how to use this information in practice? I guess
> it has something to do with the fact that back texture
> is put on width/2...

yes
i thought this was in the quake specs...
if a polygon is on the back, then add w/2 to the points that are
on seem (texture coords that is).

> 2. Hmmm... A bit strange that noone made his own .MDL file
> yet. Of course there are a lot of home-made .MDLs (even
> the one with player as Duke Nukem...), but noone did
> it from scratch. Some people made whole new levels, but
> noone did monsters... Any ideas where lies the most
> difficult part of making 3D sprites (so to speak :)?

I have orginal mdl files. The only difficult part (not really
difficult but time consuming) is placing the texture on the object.
I'm thinking of making a web page for model making. I'll post
if i do.

> we have 'removable', independent body parts, we have
> information about the light, we have animations (in which

there is no light info in the model files.

brian