Re: To seam or not to seam...

Brian K. Martin (brian@phyast.pitt.edu)
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:37:32 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Brian K. Martin" <brian@phyast.pitt.edu>
Subject: Re: To seam or not to seam...
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:37:32 -0400 (EDT)

> >>there is no light info in the model files.
>
> Hmmm... We are thinking if id isn't just going to fake lightining
> on monsters. Using this normal we could make them Gouraud shaded,
> but with so many restrictions, that we can for a sure forget
> dynamic/various lights on the monsters... Guess we will have to
> wait till another test release :)... Well, it's just 3 weeks till
> E3.

?? id Doesn't fake light. I am sure. these are the vertex normals and they
are used for gouraud shading. The lighting on the monsters is indeed dynamic.
That's why it says that in the quake specs. Believe me, I tested it and even
implemented it in the newest version of meddle.
(see that appendix in the specs for the normal table)
I doubt id will change
much about the MDL files (execpt maybe that bug of having invalid vertex
normals in the MDL file).

> I new thing started to bug me. Michael Abrash said (on CGDC) that
> they use z-buffer for monsters. In no way I can believe it. We used

Carmack had told me that they do use a z-buffer. Look how nice the clipping
is on the models when they stick in a wall. Also try to load up you memory
with tons of things and then run quake in a hi res mode. You can get an error
saying there isn't enough memory for the z-buffer. well that doesn't mean
diddly crap but it is some evidence. Also notice that in some angles where
you get an error in sorting, you don't see that in quake.
(but you may have a better sorting algo than me..)
He also said the reason for the z buffer was that in most cases the monsters
are only a few pixels in size so the z-buffer wasn't used heavily, so it's
not too time consuming. But I have to agree with you that it is hard to believe
because I can never fill the z-buffer that fast.

brian

brian