Re: formats
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 22:41:56 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 22:41:56 +0200 (MET DST)
Subject: Re: formats

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Denis <> wrote:
> At 15:33 25.08.1996 -0400, you wrote:
> >Does anybody have formats to .MDL, .BSP, and .LMP?
> >I need to know how to read and write these files.
> Doesn't Raphael's QEU stuff handle these?

Well, I sent a personal reply to Mark, but I think I should have
posted it to the list instead...

I haven't done much for QEU recently. I distributed a beta version of
QEU 0.4 to a few people, but there is not much that has changed from
0.3 regarding Quake's files. I have added a lot of stuff for various
graphics file formats and the code is now split in two parts: GAEL
(GAme Editing Library) which contains a set of functions for working
with various file formats, and QEU which contains the utilities
compiled with that library. I want GAEL to be as portable and easy to
use as possible, so that other people can use it to develop small (or
big) utilities without having to re-invent the wheel. GAEL will of
course be freely available, and distributed with full source code.

Unfortunately, the only Quake file formats that are currently well
supported by GAEL (and thus QEU) are the PAK and WAD2 files. I still
have to update the code for the other file formats such as MDL and
BSP, but I want to finish something else first: the Floyd-Steinberg
dithering that can be used for converting various textures and
graphics to the Quake palette. I broke that part of the code while
trying to optimize it, and I cannot get it to work again (the colors
are incorrect). Alas, I haven't had the time to touch the code since
last month. I hope I will be able to get back to it soon.