Info from John Carmack (2)

Mon, 3 Jun 1996 19:12:02 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 19:12:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org, bernd@marvin.nero.uni-bonn.de
Subject: Info from John Carmack (2)

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From johnc@idnewt.idsoftware.com Thu Apr 11 23:28 MET 1996
From: John Carmack <johnc@idnewt.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 16:26:16 -0500
To: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Subject: FYI

For your information, prompted by the comment about the limit
of 255 textures in a qtest1 level, the current format has
expanded miptex, sofs, tofs, and flags to 16 bits. While we
probably won't ship a level with more than about 64 textures in
it, I agree, 256 is never really enough of anything. The limit
on offsets also prevented us from using >256 size textures in
some situations, which people will probably want to do even
before hitting the 256 unique textures limit.

All better now, in any case.

On the NAT front, I am considering changing the .map definition
to use arbitrary texture origin and S and T vectors on each plane,
instead of the sofs / tofs / flags values that are currently there.
That would enable any affine texture arrangement, including
arbirary rotation and size changes. I still don't think that
capability is going to make it into the .bsp format for quake1,
but it seems very probably for quake2, and I might as well get the
.map format ready for it.

Its good to see some reasoned comments about my architecture.
I will be trying to address as many things as I can while under
the pressure of shipping the game...

John Carmack

----- End Included Message -----

----- Begin Included Message -----