Info from John Carmack (8)

Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:40:14 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:40:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org, bernd@marvin.nero.uni-bonn.de
Subject: Info from John Carmack (8)

Done. From now on, I will simply forward any other info to this list
as soon as I get it, which will simplify things a lot. Take your
time to digest...

b.

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: John Carmack <johnc@idcanon1.idsoftware.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 96 13:00:27 -0500
To: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Subject: Re: q&a (5)

You wrote:
> I stumbled across the following two quotes:
>
> "Carmack made mention of redoing Quake Ed file structure because of
> this" (related to some intrusion attempt, I gather)
>
> Q: Is the MAP format going to change? Btw., sounds strange, what'd
> be the advantage (in relation to some pirated pre-release engine)?

If the registered pak file had been stolen, but a functional exe had
been, then I would probably have made a change to make the final
released exe not recognize all the .bsp files in the pirated registered
pak file.

In any case, they didn't get any data, so I'm not messing with it.

> "Carmack is about 1/3 finished with an NT version of our Map
> editor"
>
> Q: The NT version is done using VC++? Are you going to release that
> source? It'd be convenient to port a C++/OpenGL version to Linux.
> And futile to reinvent the wheel after the fact.

1/3 finished is a biiig overstatement. I have the editor view layout
mostly functional on my intergraph GL accelerated NT system (its way
cool to be running around the map with blended transparent walls in
realtime), but it will take me at least a solid two weeks of work
after quake's release before the editor is really ready for prime time.

I don't know about "futile"... I was actually looking forward to seeing
what other people come up with for editor interaction paradigms. If you
mean a straight port of QuakeEd, yeah, it might be a waste of time.

> You are moving way to fast for weekend code warriors. I managed to
> built, change and toy around with QuakeEd (logged my first three
> hours on a NeXT - too bad there is no IB and ObjectiveC for Linux).

GCC does objective C right now, but it would still be a major porting
effor to move it to objc-X or gnustep.

> Q: are there any distribution restrictions you want me to put on
> QuakeEd related stuff? That is: screenshosts, derivatives of
> jrbase1.map, modified sources, NeXT binaries. There is no
> qbsp&Cie., thus I cannot imagine any damage (besides spoiling
> jrbase1 prior to SW release). However, please let me know.

I put it up without consulting our lawyers :-)
Consider it all available for any not-for-profit use.

> On the new editor:
>
> Q: are you going to include any DDE/IPC connection of Quake and
> Quakeed? I.e. moving the camera in the editor moves the POV in
> Quake, and switches start/stop monster animation etc. For entity
> placement and even texture alignment (or lighting), no BSP built
> should be necessary. OpenGL previewing might ease texture alignment
> pains, but entity placement and fine-tuning the map needs test runs
> using the AI. In principle, one needs a way to have server move one
> client according to the commands of another client.
>
> Q: reminds me: still planning on releasing the server sources?

All of the .qc code will be relased (QuakeEd parses it for entity names,
anyway), but I have gotten a little more reticent about releasing object
code and some C code just from a control point of view. Anyway, for
large scale server issues it turns out that the best way to control
quake is with a wrapper program, instead of modifying internal code.

The qc compiler and source will come out withing a couple days of release.

I could release the bsp tools around the same time, but I'm not sure if
anyone can use them until a generally accessable editor is made.

I will release the code for the NT editor when I get it nice and stable.
In wireframe mode that should run acceptably even on an unaccelerated
system, but it is being designed for hardware acceleration.

When everything settles down (version 1.3 or so, probably) I may release
the object code with some source files for serious internal tweaking.

John Carmack

----- End Included Message -----