Re: QuakeEd 1.2 upload/test1.map

Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:00:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:00:58 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: QuakeEd 1.2 upload/test1.map

> can you clarify this bern: this version include patches and
> improvements made to quakeed by people other than id?

A few patches, yep, improvements, nope.

> what about changed johnc has made to quakeed? (his work log indicates
> that some things were changed in the past week or two)

Not included. Yes, there seem to be at least the following ones:

* QuakeEd: fixed crash when misselecting an entity angle
* QuakeEd: forbid dragging position / direction when textured

and some intended:

QuakeEd: goto point in command window
QuakeEd: view pos button
QuakeEd: don't explode if /qcache isn't present
QuakeEd: top trace for shearing is at 2048, increase to 8192

This is a problem for several reasons:

a) his worklog technique makes it tedious to track this,
because you will have to look fot those retrospect "+"
entries, too.

b) it is not worth while to bother anybody :-) on each single
change as long as QuakeEd is not in widespread use

c) I did not bother to import QuakeEd in CVS for tracking third
party sources (which would have been appropriate for frequent
updates) - as I do not benefit that much from the NeXT version,
I simply cannot afford the time.

I intend to get back to this once they shipped, and he abandoned
QuakeEd for his new NT/OpenGL editor. In the meantime, it is
more important to

1) get a mipmap WAD2 file done
(thus NeXT users might be able to create maps)

2) get a bsp builder running
(thus NeXT users will be able to generate maps they can`t play :)

and, most important IMO:

3) get a working editor done for Linux :-).

Hope this clarifies the issue.

b.