Editor GUI design

Thu, 6 Jun 1996 17:13:53 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 17:13:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org, bernd@marvin.nero.uni-bonn.de
Subject: Editor GUI design

Joost wrote:

>> a working editor for Linux
> speaking of that, for those who haven't seen it:
> http://www.canweb.net/~fisty/shaker/

Reminds me. The screenshots there and incompetently toying
around with QuakeEd raised a few issues I would like get some
opinions on - namely what an editor should/should not do.

Just to get things started (gee, from the looks of it I am
the only one using this mailing list), here`s one. More to

1) The Axial Bias

I haven`t had the opportunity to do serious work with QuakeEd,
however, one thing that caught my eye is a certain bias towards
axial blocks. First, it is the thing the most easiest
to create and manipulate with QuakeEd. You will apply CSG
operations to those, mostly. In the end, the overwhelming
majority of brushes/polygons is axial.

Possible solutions:

-Brush (Group) rotation operations
-Brush Templates,
(sets of) polyhedra approximating curved, non-axial surfaces,
just a libary
-a separate Brush Editor (Mode)
-DXF/3DS Import

Btw. it seems that in QuakeEd there is no way to load a MAP file
into a MAP file - the help says "a selection is not cleared when
other files", which works, but looks a bit like putting
the horse in the saddle... if you catch my drift.

Secondly, the View Modes encourage use of axial brushes. The
look/down XY View does not invite editing multi-storey editing
(there might be a decent z-clipping available, haven`t checked).
The Z ScrollView emphasizes this. The CameraView is controlled
by DOOM-style cursor movement - there is no mlook, not even a
limited look-up/down (not even a fly mode, but a floor up/down).
The engine is capable of 3 DoF in both movement and orientation,
thus an editor has to have this feature, too.

Possible solutions:

-mlook mode
-4 Views, three of them axial, one free

Comments anybody?