RE: Editor GUI design

Olivier Montanuy (
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:24:12 +0200

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:24:12 +0200
From: Olivier Montanuy <>
Subject: RE: Editor GUI design

-----Warning: this message is diplomatically challenged-----

[cut-off from Bernd's message...]
>The engine is capable of 3 DoF in both movement and orientation,
>thus an editor has to have this feature, too.

>Comments anybody?

Comment is simple: Quake levels are closed. just like Descent mines.
how the heck do you think one creates a mine? You walk inside and you
cut your way throught the walls, using a suitably shaped object.

The .MAP format made of filled convex blocks isn't suitable, in my not
possibly humble opinion. That's the way you build houses in the open,
not the way you dig mines. What do we care about the exterior of the level?
How come it's even calculated? It can even cause errors (leakage).

If the map files were substractive (i.e.made of empty blocks, in a filled space,
instead of filled block in empty space, it would be much easier to edit and
And of course, you should be able to edit the level while walking
inside, not via some lame combination of 2D views or delayed camera view.
That screams for a portal based scheme.

Another company will do it, and will bite market shares off id.
Guess who. Not everyone is lost in the Realms of 3D.

I might calm down once I get my hands on a PPro 200, but I doubt many
Quake players/editors can afford one.

The Arrogant Frog
(who else?)