RE: Editor GUI design

Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:03:17 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:03:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Subject: RE: Editor GUI design

>Comment is simple: Quake levels are closed.
>a mine? You walk inside and you cut your
>way throught the walls, using a suitably shaped object.

>If the map files were substractive (i.e.made of empty
>blocks, in a filled space, instead of filled block in
>empty space, it would be much easier to edit and generate.

QuakeEd CSG supports this. I am currently working my way
through the help.txt (RTFM, as always, my speciality), and
naturally, it is possible to create a huge block and bite

>The .MAP format made of filled convex blocks isn't suitable,

I do not agree on this one. Your remark goes straight for the
jugular, though - in "densely occluded environments" the
empty space you walk in might be a convex or non-convex
polyhedron - it cannot be described by a single Brush. Thus
creating rooms always means creating a Group of Brushes.

QuakeEd starts with empty space, and you start dropping
Brushes. In a way, this seems counterintuitive, but the
Sealing of the map takes care of the outside border. Not
to difficult to get used to. I guess that most of us can handle
those small plastic building bricks - not so sure about

Surrounding yourself with six big solid brushes and start
digging away might be more difficult - I usually loose sense
of direction inside a building, not outside :-). Might be
bad in terms of final brush count as well.

Once you have created the rooms, you are placing
furniture - as nobody digs a chair, so to speak.

P.S.: new GUI checkbox: "Agoraphobia mode on/off".