Re: Editor GUI design

Thu, 6 Jun 1996 20:52:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 20:52:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Subject: Re: Editor GUI design

>editing at the level of edge/vertex/entire-brush is necessary
>in some fashon, but each introduces problems (convexity of brush,
>coplanarity of faces)

Indeed. Add to the big ToDo list:

- Brush convexity checking
- Brush merge adjacent coplanar
- Brush remove redundant planes (will not create facets)

>Obviously primitives like cubes
>or tetrahedra should be implemented,

There are two approaches:

a) Dialog Boxes and GUI interacts (mouse) to create
one of a fixed set of primitives
b) a generic Load/Save Template mechanisms, and
scaling/translation/rotation manipulating a bounding box rep
c) both

I think (a) and (c) tend to clutter the GUI, but that is a matter
of personal preferences.

>For designing complex brushes it might be desirable to not display
>all other brushes.

Again two alternatives:

a) a Selection/Filter aproach - you are still within MAP space
b) a separate Brush Editor, in model space

>When looking at a map at
>some cockeyed angle, it no longer becomes clear how to easily
>manipulate entities and brushes in three dimensions.

Add the major axises to the preview. Define six keys to move
along +/- X/Y/Z. One or more slanted views?

>an "edit-the-current-brush-only" mode where
>the camera can be rotated freely around the brush.

In a predominantly XY-plane aligned world (direction of gravity
is alsway along Z) it might be useful to have a rotate around
the Z axis. There is the tall/short extrude feature in QuakeEd.
Taking a XY convex polygon and extending it along Z (or some
sloped axis) is a possible mode. Drawing the convex polygon in XY
(2D view) in a separate window, for example.

There are surely a lot of useful simplifications, and the use
of Axial Blocks surely fits man-made environments. However I
keep thinking that more or less 2D biased editing will be done
anyway. Consider what I call a "Poseidon" level - e.g. a ship wreck
on the beach, or even toppled, pockets of air, water surfaces,
slippery decks, and no a single XY aligned plane in sight. QuakeEd
might or might not be up to the task, but NAT's will be a major
pain. You can't even take a given MAP and tilt and roll it a couple
of degrees w/o screwing texture alignment (might be fixed if
arbitrary texture coordinates are indeed possible now). You can't
even do a yaw-rotation (around Z) with a given map or brush
selection w/o taking care of the texture alignments, but that's a
different issue.