Re: Palette Matching

Uffe Friis Lichtenberg (uffefl@diku.dk)
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 00:17:29 +0200 (METDST)

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 00:17:29 +0200 (METDST)
From: Uffe Friis Lichtenberg <uffefl@diku.dk>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Palette Matching

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Bernd Kreimeier wrote:

> Has anybody taken a look at the Doom PlayPal vs. the
> Quake palette? I did some matching runs with various
> metrics in RGB space, and there are very few exact
> matches, and a larger number of severe mismatches. I
> haven`t (yet) tried to convert an actual DOOM texture
> to the Quake Palette, but prospects do not look good.

This corresponds exactly to some of ... (John Carmack?)'s comments. The
palette chosen for Quake is far from the palette used in Doom. But I
remember reading somewhere (in the log?) that palette now could be level
based. Thus the problem seems easy to solve -- simply use the Doom
palette.

> Dithering might help. Has anybody with some experience
> in handling limited palettes tried?

In my experience dithering texture maps (at such a low resolution as
those of Quake) never gives satisfactorily results. It can only get worse
with the mipmapping applied.

> Which, in turn, means that converted or re-done Doom
> maps should possibly stick to the PlayPal - meaning
> they cannot use the skin textures matching the Quake
> palette.

Any Doom conversion has to include converted sprites. (Just a new skin
texture for the player and enemies to start with -- later on new models
perhaps). Although low-res, the original sprites could probably be used
more or less directly for this.

> In addition, a palette lump should accompany
> the mipmaps (in the BSP or elsewhere). It`s only 768
> bytes, after all, and in perfect agreement with the
> thinking that puts the mipmaps in the BSP.

I think (but am unsure) that this is already the case. (I hope.)

Think of it: it bloody well *has* to. Otherwise creating Quake levels
with completely different settings/themes will be nigh on impossible.

Zonk,
Uffe. [uphfe]
uffefl@diku.dk

--
"This .signature hasn't been left unintentionally void of blankness"