Re: Editor GUI design

Sat, 8 Jun 1996 22:21:40 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 22:21:40 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Subject: Re: Editor GUI design

From: Mike Ruete <>
>All primitives should have a "root" point/axis, and
>there should be plenty of options for aligning that
>within your level.

You've lost me. Could you explain? Is this selecting
an edge, and/or a vertex, as a frame of reference for
moving/rotating the brush?

As for aligning two brushes, this reminds me of some
related questions:

a) is an editing mode with polyhedra-polyhedra
3D collision detection worth the hassle?

b) here is a next interaction: pick two facets of
two brushes. Now press "glue". One brush will
be rotated and translated to stick to the
other, selected facet on selected facet. Now
there are only 3 degrees of freedom left:
in the plane defined by the two parallel facets,
move in x,y, or rotate by some angle.

>If you mean like what WinTex does, I hate that too.

I was actually thinking Sun Mailtool... dunno about WinTex,
unfortunately it does not run with Linux :-(.