Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:35:50 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:35:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

> From: Rob Shields <rshields@eve.net>

> I have been able to convert the Doom2 images to use the Quake palette.

Great. Saves me some hassle.

> They mostly look the same as the originals

The match I made with a 2*delta_Red + 3*delta_Green + 1*delta_Blue
gave less than 30 exact matches, and about the same with a perceived
distance >= 20.0. Prospects did not look to good. Will be interesting
to see your images (and the mipmapped versions, later).

> how should I go about getting them to those in this mailing list
> who want them?

Legal issues: you should not distribute DOOM registered or commercial
textures. It would be great if you could separate those from the
DOOM shareware WAD. Next, the conversion is a "derivative work". We
should ask id prior to any distribution. Finally, the Quake palette
has changed (there are more than 16 whites in a sequence, and
John Carmack mentioned additional explosion colors, see Info (7)
mail) - thus the matches might change again.

A few shareware textures as example, exported as GIF might be a good
idea. Perhaps you could download the DOOM Palette GIF from my palette
page at http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/wad_conv and apply the
same conversion, I will happily upload the result, and look at the
index->index mapping.

Does anybody know what kind of palette matching algorithm DMVIEW
actually uses? Is the source available (the author around)?

b.

P.S.: the remark by John Carmack in Info (5) seemed to indicate that
Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud did not like the results of a similar
conversion. I wonder what kind of matching they tried, and when.