Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

Rob Shields (rshields@eve.net)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:42:17 -0400

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:42:17 -0400
From: Rob Shields <rshields@eve.net>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

Bernd Kreimeier wrote:

> Not necessary, but I would appreciate confirmation of the exact
> matching formulae. What does "adapted" mean? Remark: the distance
> formulae above does not take into account the human eye's differing
> sensibility for the base colors - usually, we are most sensitive for
> varying Green, and far less for Blue. This should change some of the
> matches (and results). Have you tried e.g. the 2/3/1 weighted formulae,
> or something else (some day I will try HSV just for curiosities sake),
> or the straight 1/1/1 weights only?
>
> b.
>

> Btw.: perhaps we should postpone further experimentation until the
> final Quake palette is available.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. All I meant by adapted was that I had changed
the x,y, and z to r, g, and b. The program only uses equal weighting for
all differences, but it could be easily modified to do otherwise. Also,
when we have a final version of Quake, once we know where the palette is I
simply have to rewrite the part of the code that extracts the Quake test
palette so that it extracts the real Quake palette. Once the Doom2
palette image from the Quake-Dev support pages is posted in converted form
(I have already converted it and b. will probably post it soon) we can try
the weighted formula and compare the two images.

Rob Shields