Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:28:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:28:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

I have updated the Palette Conversion pages at

http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/wad_conv/

with pictures demonstrating the unweighted match
provided by Rob Shields, and the weighted match
done by myself. There are two small PWADs that
demonstrate the effects if used with DOOM (thanks
to Rand Phares for the sample PWAD) - now you can
see the world of DOOM through the eyes of Quake
(hype mode off :).

There are some remarks and references on the page.
In short, doing a color-by-color matching will
render [sic!] the artwork next to useless. I will
try a global optimization that trades color
accuracy (which will be less than sufficient anyway)
for preserving the textures. I have already
implemented a stocastic local search, results to
follow.

b.