RE: BSP edge list

Olivier Montanuy (
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:14:30 +0200

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:14:30 +0200
From: Olivier Montanuy <>
Subject: RE: BSP edge list

>the edges will always be given in a counterclockwise order around the surface.
Sort of. Actually, I wrote this because there must be a way, when scan
converting, to decide which side is in the surface, and which side is not.
The easiest way is to respect some sign. I checked this with my little
wireframe viewer, but not for every surfaces.

The orders in which the edges are given is totally irrelevant. Two consecutive
edges need not share a common vertex, though they often do.
That scheme is suitable for software 3D rendering, but maybe not for hardware:-)

Don't rely too much on the BSP format. Seems there were a lot of useless or
duplicated stuff there: it was only a test, after all. I expect the final
BSP format to be much cleaner.

>It seems to me like the edges should form a closed polygon,
This ain't the Windoze API. No need of closed polygons.

Tel: +33 96051751 Fax: +33 96053667