Re: Quake license forbids Quake specs?

Mon, 24 Jun 1996 18:14:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 18:14:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Quake license forbids Quake specs?

> From: Olivier Montanuy <montanuy@lsun80.lannion.cnet.fr>
> I read the Quake shareware license. Seems we cannot release
> specs for that one: all reverse engeneering is prohibited,
> and specs *are* reverese engeneering. Is it voluntary from
> id, or just an artefact?

It was no different with qtest1, and it is neither voluntary
nor an artifact - they have no choice in the matter. To
protect their intellectual property, id Software cannot
possibly permit reverse engineering.

Publishing specs is not illegal. Obtaining the content of such
specs by illegal means is prohibited. id cannot give permission
to create specs by hacking - they can look the other way.
This is surely an unfortunate situation, but a familiar one.

Fancy tapdancing ahead.

As soon as John Carmack releases the sources of qbsp&Cie.,
specs will be possible based on the I/O code. Another
straight solution is id Software hiring somebody to write
down some Official Specs, and be done with it.

For now, I prefer to abandon the topic. The situation will not
improve by discussing it at length.

> I'm very disapointed by the distribution scheme, for
> people outside of the US. 50$ is cheap, but can't they
> use a decent postal service for 10$ more?

Drop a complaint to id Software and/or the distributor in
question. I did. Won't do any good to do it here.

b.