Re: Quake license forbids Quake specs?

Michael Hartle (Michael.Hartle@frankfurt.netsurf.de)
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:20:30 +0200

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:20:30 +0200
From: Michael Hartle <Michael.Hartle@frankfurt.netsurf.de>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Quake license forbids Quake specs?

> Hmm. What exactly is reverse engineering? If I do "strings quake.exe" to
> get some fancy potential console keywords which id will probably never
> bother to document, have I "modified, disassembled, reverse engineered or
> decompiled the Software"?
> [...]
> Lauri

Reverse engineering means the process of finding out how id wrote the software in
order to run this fast, with these features, how they did this or that - the
technologies - in order to use them in your programs. The exact meaning has to be
defined by a lawyer, I suppose. Correct me if I am wrong... this is the way I do
understand it.

Regards, Michael