Re: Quake-edit API, Shareware vs Reg.

Ryan Drake (
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 17:02:10 -0400

From: "Ryan Drake" <>
To: <>
Subject: Re: Quake-edit API, Shareware vs Reg.
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 17:02:10 -0400

> John Carmack seems to have done the Proof Of Purchase check
> he mentioned once. In principle, it should be impossible now
> to load any maps despite the shareware maps.

OK. This means that we don't have to include an "installer" that
checks to make sure the end-user has the regged version. <whew>

> In consequence, tweaking the shareware to load any other BSP
> file is only possible by violating the license. I'd appreciate
> if this is not discussed on the list.

> The drawback is there will be no check for level editing
> tools till the registered version ships.

I don't really see this as a drawback (the old bug vs feature
argument), in fact it lets us get a head start on _developing_
quake editors while the registered version is not out. As long
as no one _distributes_ quake editors that utilize stuff in the
shareware vesrions, I dont see anything wrong with getting a jump
on the editors. Editors that rip stuff from the shareware would
only be in violation if they are distributed. Once the
registered version of quake comes out, developers will need only
make minor changes (hopefully) for the release version.

| Ryan Drake			Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.	|
|					-- Mark Harrold	|
|			|