Re: My Quake Editor

John B. Williston (us018032@interramp.com)
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:52:10 +0000

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:52:10 +0000
From: "John B. Williston" <us018032@interramp.com>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: My Quake Editor

Jonathan Mavor wrote:

> I'm writing the editor using VC++ 4.1/MFC to run under
> 95 and NT (I'm developing it on 95). It's using an MDI paradigm
> so you can have multiple maps open at one time.

A hint: you may find resource caching to be an absolute necessity under Windows95. I used
the MDI pardigm for WadAuthor and quickly discovered a need for it.

[lots of neat brush ideas snipped!]

Sounds like a good idea, particulary if you support importing from AutoCAD, Ray-Dream
Designer, or other well-defined 3D packages.

[lots of graphical ideas snipped!]

> I'm also going to do a full undo system and any other things
> which make an editor cool. For the future I'm thinking direct3d
> support, and possibly directdraw. I'm using createdibsection
> right now for the output from the renderer. I'm going to be choosing
> some beta testers soon to release my editor to (once I get
> the tmapping and texture selection in).

Do yourself a *very* big favor: start using Direct3D right now and forget the
CreateDIBSection junk. I've been a DirectX beta tester since the beginning, and Direct3D
will take care of *many* issues for you.

> Any questions/comments?

You certainly have very ambitious goals. In my experience, the number of goals met is a
largely a measure of character and drive. Good luck! I haven't decided if I'm going to do
a QuakeAuthor yet, but I'm thinking about it in a very serious fashion <g>...

John

--
http://ourworld.compuserve.com:80/homepages/williston_consulting/