Re: My Quake Editor

Wed, 26 Jun 1996 15:28:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 15:28:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: My Quake Editor

>John B. Williston wrote:

>Do yourself a *very* big favor: start using Direct3D right now

Curious: is there a decisive advantage of using Direct3D instead
of OpenGL? Note I do not consider hypothetical or even real speed
advantages decisive. OpenGL is portable (e.g. to UNIX, Linux, NT),
Direct3D to my knowledge isn't (NT?). That might have been the
reason for John Carmack choosing OpenGL, perhaps.

>I've been a DirectX beta tester since the beginning, and Direct3D
>will take care of *many* issues for you.

Could you summarize the major design differences of Direct3D vs.
OpenGL? I've always wondered (having no access to Direct*), and
this would certainly be valuable info.

b.