Re: My Quake Editor

Jonathan Mavor (
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:40:32 -0700

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:40:32 -0700
From: Jonathan Mavor <>
Subject: Re: My Quake Editor

At 01:25 PM 6/26/96 +0200, you wrote:
>Exactly. See Info(9) posted to this list. The MAP file format
>is well suited to store single brushes, brush templates, groups
>of brushes (notably needed for rooms :) and template of the latter.
Exactly. However, I am going to have a format for my
editor because of the need for concave brushes. (I wish we could
just re-write idbsp to take concave brushes and then allow them in
the maps. My bsp builder already does this so maybe I'll take
a crack at it... ).

>While looking for 2D polygon partition (for WAD2MAP) I got the
>impression that solving this for 3D will be less than fun. Thus
>the BSP might be a good idea, but it will introduce splits in
>what the level creator wants to be a single surface.
Too bad. The way I handle this now is by creating
co-planar polygons which reference the same texture, vectors
etc. When exported to a .MAP file it will indeed be multiple
polygons. This will of course only happen in concave brushes
as convex brushes don't get split by a bsp. (Aren't bsps

>>import LWO
>Is this significantly easier than 3DS or DXF?

Yes. Since I already have it from something else ;)

>>Matt Houser wrote
>How about a plugin interface for brush editing ;-).
I am SERIOUSLY considering a DDE plug-in interface
to my editor so that people can edit brushes and have them
instantly appear. This would be in a later version though ;)

>Be sure to get Chris Hecker's articles and source (start in the
>papers section of the QuakeDev pages). This is the single best
>and monst thorough texture mapper I have seen, and it should be
>very fast as well.

I grabbed it. Looks interesting. One I get the texture
cacheing down I'll probably use his texturemapper (but I'll have to
set it up to use texture vectors instead of verts). Of course
for wrapping textures I'll have to use something else.