Re: wad2, id tools, QuakeC, etc

Jonathan Mavor (nstorm@sonetis.com)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:24:41 -0700

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:24:41 -0700
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
From: Jonathan Mavor <nstorm@sonetis.com>
Subject: Re: wad2, id tools, QuakeC, etc

At 10:10 AM 6/27/96 -0600, you wrote:

>b. wrote:
>Well, just so happens that I do ;) The textures are stored in the
>wad files in exactly the same way they are stored in the .bsp files.
>So the answer to your question is yes. BTW, I wrote a simple little
>program that will take a .bsp file and extract the textures into a
>wad2 file. I could make that available if anyone would like it.

ME ME ME!!! Could you fattach it to me? This is all I'm
looking for so that I can actually make a level!!

>This was on a P5-100 with 64M of ram running win95. I thought this was
>pretty encouraging. BTW, for those who didn't know, dm1 is just test1
>from qtest. Anyway, this isn't a huge level, but it isn't trivial either.
>Unless I misunderstood, the above should have built full versions of all
>repective parts. If you used the various short-cuts, or cut out some
>of these all together, I think you bould get turn around in probably
>2-3 minutes for most levels. If you work on the level in parts, as suggested
>by Carmack I believe, it should be a lot less.

Now that these tools are released I'm really encouraged. Since
I now know exactly what algorithm Carmack used for the lights I can
ray-trace the exact same way in my level. This means that I should
pretty well be able to get the levels in my editor to look exactly like
quake. This means that for geometry and lighting you shouldn't have to
export and save yourself a pile of time. Since it would ray-trace
each light as you placed it in the level (and doing one light
is very fast) you can probably speed up the level design process (at
least for placing lights). Once I get the tmapping/lighting in
a little quake simulation (so you can tell jump heights etc) would
be really cool.

Ok, I'm off now to make a little level with only convex
brushes and one bright light in the center. Once I get a WAD2
I'll see if I can't get it up and running.

L8r,
Jon