Welcome to Quake Developers!

Mon, 4 Mar 1996 14:27:45 +0100 (MET)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 14:27:45 +0100 (MET)
To: quake-editing@nvg.unit.no
Subject: Welcome to Quake Developers!

Welcome to the Quake Developer's list!

For once, I will use the privilege and talk while
everbody listens. I hope that you will find this list
worthwhile and useful, and that you will find it a
professionally minded and enjoyable place.

The purpose of this list is to get things organized.
In particular, it will provide a channel of
communication to keep us from inventing the wheel
all over again, and to help us to spawn cooperative
efforts. It is dedicated primarily to those of us
writing free software, free in the sense that there
is a free flow of information, meaning sources and
algorithms, but not necessarily meaning free for
commercial use, or free-for-all. It is not important
wether or not you are a professional, however, a
professional attitude is important.

A final warning: despite the name of the list, do not
restrict your thinking to Quake and nothing but Quake.
It is a large world out there, and it is getting larger
every day. This list will focus on Quake as a cutting
edge sample of a whole genre of games - meaning
configureable, extensible engines. We will see a lot
more of this in upcoming years. Configuring and
extending such games is a complicated task and cannot
be done without sophisticated tools, which, in turn,
cannot be created, improved and maintained on a day to
day basis. There is only so much that can be done from
scratch. Take the long view. The next three years will
change the world even more than the last three years
did. You might want to make a difference.

Carpe Diem.