Re: Quake data structures

Morgan Schweers (mrs@netcom.com)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 04:39:58 PST

From: mrs@netcom.com (Morgan Schweers)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 04:39:58 PST
To: quake-editing@nvg.unit.no
Subject: Re: Quake data structures

Greetings,
I understand that you're trying to keep discussion of the structures
to a minimum, but...

On Mar 4, 10:55am, Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se wrote:
} Subject: Quake data structures

} Models (magic: "IDPO", extension: ".mdl")
} -----------------------------------------
}
} These 3D models define the animated objects (players, monsters and moving
} objects). They contain the skin texture of the object (flat picture), a
} set of triangles defining the object and a sequence of frames for the
} animation.
}
} didn't include the source code because there are still some bugs
} in it.

I'd like to be CC'ed on this even if it's not finalized, as I'm
currently working on multiple 3D formats for other platforms and have
a *VERY* strong (and yet simple) conversion library which allows
near-instantaneous development of mesh conversion programs. Both myself
and my project lead at work are VERY interested in taking a day off and
building a proper set of mesh conversion programs into and out of the
Quake MDL format.

The (unfortunately EXTREMELY skimpy) documentation I've read so far
is interesting, as it evidently suggests that normals aren't stored with
the model. The texture coordinates sound straightforward enough though.

Anyhow, any information leading to the arrest and capture of
vertex, face, and UV information will be rewarded hopefully with a
conversion program in short order... *grin*

-- Morgan Schweers

p.s. I think the speed at which the poor ID1.PAK file (and its contents)
got stripped, reverse engineered, and reconstructed must set a new
world record someplace. It wasn't even an hour after it was released
that monsters were enabled. You *KNOW* id Software left the monsters
in on purpose so that people would add them in on their own accord...

p.p.s. February 8, 1997, 8:30pm, id Software releases 'Hello World', their
new non-interactive text display emulation display system test
program. February 8, 1997, 9:30pm, the associated 5 Meg .ARK file
is reverse engineered and the first hack (making it print, 'Hello
Internet' instead of its usual output) is completed.