Re: release of id tools/was: Quake data structures

Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:39:17 +0100 (MET)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:39:17 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: release of id tools/was: Quake data structures

> On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Tom Lees wrote:
> > > id 'said' that they will release their map-editor, for
> > I would be interested to know if they are planning to release the source
> > for their editor too: I think they also 'said' that they would release

> From:
> i seem to recall dave taylor or someone else from id saying they
> wouldn't release their editor after all since they didn't want to get
> tech support mails for it. they might change their opinion again, but
> things don't seem to be as certain as they were (or were they ever? ;)

That about sums it up :-).

Let me try to end this discussion: id will do as they choose. They might or
might not promise, write, release "Official Specs", they might or might not
release editor sources, they might put them under one License or another,
might even sell them to other companies, might put them under NDA.

If you want to know for sure, ask id or wait. Period.

I remember very well the same questions on "Official DOOM Specs". There is
no reliable flow of information, and no consistent support, and we cannot
not depend on either. Just as id cannot depend on us.

If you are going to write an editor or utility, that is *your* choice.
You are not working for id. Do not expect any favors, nor offer them. Do
what you want to do, for your own reasons. Protect your property or don't,
and let id protect theirs. Take your own risks, waste your own time. You
could either do business or have fun, but not both. You want a deal? Sign
a contract.

This discussion is idle speculation, and will *not* make a difference.

"Being paranoid does not mean They aren't out to get you."