Quake data structures

Tom Wheeley (tomw@tsys.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 06 Mar 96 01:02:37 GMT

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 96 01:02:37 GMT
From: Tom Wheeley <tomw@tsys.demon.co.uk>
To: quake-editing@nvg.unit.no
Subject: Quake data structures

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960304211022.296A-100000@portal.atak> you write:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Denis wrote:
> > It would be quite interesting to know, what we will need for Quake
> > at the end - id 'said' that they will release their map-editor, for
> > Win95 and Linux - so, there's actually no need for others. Are they
> > going to release File-Tools and stuff too?
> I would be interested to know if they are planning to release the source
> for their editor too: I think they also 'said' that they would release
> the source code for the quake server, but with the current implementation
> of it (part of quake itself), this does not look possible unless the
> quake server is re-written to be external to quake itself (as well as
> internal).

Are id still thinking of releasing Quake as .o files as mentioned by <mumble>
in comp.<mumble>.djgpp in quaketalk? I think the idea was that you would
thyen get 'server.c' (gross simplification, I'm sure) and manufacturers could
then easily write their own 'device drivers', and then release them to be
linked in when Quake is played.

Even if id do release an editor, it will be a while before they do, and it
may even be limited (even if not intentially).

* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
"They're filming Rocky V now.  This one's being billed as `Rocky's Greatest
Challenge', so I guess there's an IQ test involved."
	-- Jay Leno