Re: Question

Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:45:46 +0100 (MET)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:45:46 +0100 (MET)
To: quake-editing@nvg.unit.no
Subject: Re: Question

> Now, a Question: any idea where I could get a decent free/shareware modeler?
> I used POV and MORAY, but maybe you know of something better? for windoze?

I know that there's Midnight modeler for linux, but nothing else. Chris?

> I need to display everything in 3D, to check, and don't want to add my own
> 3D bugs to the stuff already there. Well, if there isn't anything suitable
> I'll have to hack in my own stuff. whatever. Will take me days...

Considering conversion issues, I think it will be worse. Of course, this will
be a problem for all of us planning on tools for 3D.

I see not too many alternatives. My suggestion for now:

- use Mesa (OpenGL API) to display. This will work on all UNIX, and
is supposed to work with Windows, too (haven't tried). It will render slow
texture mapping, but will be written fast and portable. And it works
really fast on my linux box.

Depending on your experience with OpenGL, you will get preliminary results
within hours - but the rendering will be slow.

In the long run, especially with complicated (and still changing data
structures) I'd suggest the following:

- get VRweb, the source of the VRML browser based on Mesa, written by
the Hyper-G team. Out of the box, it is for UNIX, dunno if there is a
windows version already.

- get the qvlib parser and I/O libraries at the VRML software
repository, and do conversion from your own PAK/BSP/WAD utilities to
VRML, using those C++ libraries.

This seems a very good idea in the long run anyway. Will guarantee lots of
publicity, too.

Anybody to suggest a decent solution that will work tomorrow?

b.

P.S.: VRweb, the VRML repository, and Mesa referenced on the "overview of
resources", on the QuakeDev support pages at

http://www.nero.uni-bonn.de/~dn/q-sup

"Between you and us, conformity of purpose will be achieved
through the mutual satisfaction of requirements."