Unofficial Quake Specs 3.0 released!

Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:51:03 +0100 (MET)

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:51:03 +0100 (MET)
To: quake-editing@nvg.unit.no
Subject: Unofficial Quake Specs 3.0 released!
From: Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se

Greetings, fellow Quake hackers!

I am pleased to announce the release of the "Unofficial Quake Specs",
version 3.0. This document, written by Olivier Montanuy with the help
of Brian Martin and yours truly, contains all the technical
information that has been discovered so far about the test release of
Quake (QTEST1).

This document can be distributed freely and is intended to be a
reference for all authors of Quake editors and utilities, as well as a
source of information for the curious. It is the result of several
days (and nights) of hacking and is certainly not complete, but it
will be updated as new information is discovered.

Here is the table of contents:
0. Introduction
1. The PACK files
1.1 The PACK file format
1.2 The Resources files
1.3 The Sound files
1.4 The Code lump
2. The Level Map Models
2.1 General description of levels Maps
2.2 The Contents of .BSP files
2.3 The Format of .BSP files
2.4 The Format of the level entries
2.5 Additional informations
3. The Entity Alias Models
3.1 Explanations of Alias Models
3.2 Animating Alias Models
3.3 The Alias Model .MDL file format
4. The sprite models
4.1 General description of Sprites
4.2 The Format of the .SPR files
5. New WAD file
5.1 WAD2 File format
5.2 Format of status bar pictures
5.3 Format of console lumps
5.4 Format of palettes
6. Final word

The Unofficial Quake Specs are available at the following WWW sites:

http://www.nero.uni-bonn.de/~dn/q-sup/spec/qspec-current.html
http://www.stud.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/ftp-mirror/quake/docs/
http://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/docs/ (in ZIP format only)

Discussion of these specs should take place in the newsgroup
rec.games.computer.quake.editing or on the quake-editing mailing list
(please use these fora for technical discussion only - gameplay issues
should be discussed in rec.games.computer.quake.misc only). Exchanges
in a public forum are better than private e-mail, so that others can
be informed before a new edition of the specs is released. Also, the
authors don't want hundreds of messages in their mailboxes. Hmmm...
someone told me to add this: DO NOT BOTHER THE AUTHORS BY E-MAIL OR
THEY WILL MAKE .MDL VOODOO PUMPKINS OUT OF YOU AND WILL FILL YOU FULL
OF NINE INCH NAILS. So there! :-)

Enjoy!

-Raphael