Re: Quake Palette

Jim Bucher (jim@gcchem.com)
Sat, 09 Mar 1996 13:26:21 -0600

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 1996 13:26:21 -0600
From: Jim Bucher <jim@gcchem.com>
To: quake-editing@nvg.unit.no
Subject: Re: Quake Palette

Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se wrote:

> The Quake palette is a simple array of 256 * 3 bytes (RGB). The palette
> is stored in gfx.wad. Take a look at "LoadPalette()" in QEU 0.3 (in the
> file f_bitmap.c). This should show you how to use it. You can also
> compile "unwad2" and see how it saves the palette in BMP files.
>
> -Raphael

I know how the palette is set up, but when I use the palette from the
gfx.wad the textures do not look right. This leads me to believe that they
are using a color look up table for the texture. So, do you know if the
textures reference the palette directly, or is there is an intermediate
color quantization table? It could be that I have just set the palette
wrong.