Forward: Intermediate file format

Wed, 13 Mar 1996 23:01:50 +0100 (MET)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 23:01:50 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Forward: Intermediate file format

Forwarded to this mailing list.....

From: (Mads Dydensborg)
Subject: Intermidiate File format nessecary??
Date: 11 Mar 1996 17:49:16 GMT

HI all.

After reading the Unofficial Quake Specs, (Thanks to Olivier Montanuy and
cowriters), I'm left with the impression, that a BSP file, may not be the
best format to work with, during the *design* of a new level : When
creating the BSP file, surfaces may be split, new vertices and edges created,
etc. Oppisite to DOOM, where the SSEGS etc, where additional information.

Is this a correct understanding?

If yes, would it serve all purposes to agree on a format for exchanging
files under development? In this way, (if possible), a format for
editing could include ways to name mip-textures, etc. etc., and thereby maybe
even reduce the size of Quake add on levels : Collections of textures
could be distributed, and semicompiled levels could be distributed and
compiled by each user into BSP maps, from a tool designed for this.

Am I completly off track here? Probably.. :-)

|  Mads Bondo Dydensborg.   Student at DIKU,  Copenhagen - Denmark.   |
|  Email:   www:  |