Re: WAD conversion sketch

Mon, 18 Mar 1996 15:03:43 +0100 (MET)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 15:03:43 +0100 (MET)
To: quake-editing@nvg.unit.no
Subject: Re: WAD conversion sketch

I updated the proposal at

http://www.nero.uni-bonn.de/~dn/q-sup/

and added some details I omitted in the first draft. It is
still sketchy.

Here are some important aspects:

A modified DOOM BSP Node builder might be a better solution,
instead of a completely separate conversion tool. I would
appreciate any comment from those on the list who have
actually written such a tool.

Automatic conversion and DOOM map recycling is no worthwhile
reason to create such a tool. Texture, door, switch issues
will make any such attempt futile. Any given WAD map will
not be playable, and look worse. What's the point of DOOM
restricted geometry in Quake anyway?

The DOOM WAD file format provides a commonly accepted
intermediate file format. We could start there, and might
even agree on how it should be extended.

Any DOOM map editor could be modified along with a
qbsp/BSP_3D Node builder to take into account different
texture handling, different entities. This is a migration
path.

Put quite simply: if there were a 3D editor, full specs,
and a working node builder guaranteed, I wouldn't waste
a single thought. Right now, this project is quite
educational in several regards.

b.