Re: Legal issues (was: WAD conversion sketch)

Shawn Green (
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 18:03:13 -0600

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 18:03:13 -0600
From: Shawn Green <>
Subject: Re: Legal issues (was: WAD conversion sketch)

At 07:45 AM 3/19/96 -0600, you wrote:

>However, there is another factor in this equation: Exactly WHY did id release
>the test in the form they did? (monsters, etc.) It's not as if they are
>stupid enough to believe that no one would try to implement them or that
>they could care less what we could do with it. Of course, I don't explain
>a candid answer to this from them, but it is an interesting question and
>the possibilities might shed some light on id's plans concerning editors,
>utilities, etc.

We didn't release it for any other reason than testing the technology. Had
we thought about it, we would have removed the models and other items that
were not in the game from the pak file.

-Shawn Green
Project Manager
id Software

Official release date for everything - "When it's done!"
That's the only one you'll ever get.