Re: Legal issues (was: WAD conversion sketch)

Herschel Giansiracusa (
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:25:48 -0600

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:25:48 -0600
From: Herschel Giansiracusa <>
Subject: Re: Legal issues (was: WAD conversion sketch)

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Jim Elson wrote:

> However, there is another factor in this equation: Exactly WHY did id release
> the test in the form they did? (monsters, etc.) It's not as if they are
> stupid enough to believe that no one would try to implement them or that
> they could care less what we could do with it. Of course, I don't explain
> a candid answer to this from them, but it is an interesting question and
> the possibilities might shed some light on id's plans concerning editors,
> utilities, etc.

It seems like id wanted to get some "Quake hacking" going to increase to
popularity of the Qtest1, so they made it easy for us hackers to get started
by doing that thing with the monsters... Just think, without that now
famous "fun with hex" post on doom-editing a couple days after the
release of Qtest1, decoding the PAK and all of it's sub-formats would've
progressed much slower.