The GUI of Choice?

Tue, 7 May 1996 18:05:21 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 18:05:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Subject: The GUI of Choice?

There is one thing about (prospective) writing of Quake Editing
tools that is perfectly annoying IMO - namely which library or
toolkit to rely on for doing the GUI.

Point in case: QuakeEd, see related "Porting QuakeEd?" posting.

However, things are not different for those of us starting from
scratch. There is a good overview of freely available builders,
toolkits and libraries at

I have read and re-read the list, keeping in mind certain
requirements (your mileage may vary):

+ Linux/X support
+ freely distributable sources & widgets
+ no OSF Motif required (optional is okay)
+ C++ or C, no scripts
+ preferably includes interface builder/editor
+ NT support higly desirable for cross-development
+ allow for Mesa/OpenGL and GLUT use

and still have not taken a decision. I imagine that others are
facing the same problem, and would like to see suggestions and
comments. There are a few published "Quake Editor" projects I
have seen so far (thanks to afterShock):

Shaker -,
(formerly "QED", formerly using "AfterStep", now
using XForms (see

QMapHack -, (Windows)

QEU -,
no GUI mentioned, but I remember a home-brew SWAPI...

omitting the MDL tools written for DO(W)S, of course, whose
authors might want to share some insights, too. Anybody?

P.S.: somebody asked whether GUI issues are on topic - my
apologies for not getting back to this earlier, but
guess here's the answer ;-).

P.P.S.: I briefly considered a Java GUI (running as a separate
process/thread), but abandoned the idea as the AWT is
reportedly not a good choice. Anybody knowing a good
toolkit that allows for a Native C (C++?) wrapper?