Quake Development Tools (was RE: The GUI of Choice?)

Jim Lowell (jlowell@winternet.com)
Tue, 07 May 1996 21:38:06 -0500

Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 21:38:06 -0500
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
From: Jim Lowell <jlowell@winternet.com>
Subject: Quake Development Tools (was RE: The GUI of Choice?)

At 08:25 PM 5/7/96 EDT, you wrote:
>>Also, although people scream at me when I suggest vis-bas 4 pro for an
>>editor, the fact is that making a truly GUI-type, friendly interface is
>>really child's play using ANY version of VB. As for the shouts that VB is
>>slow as hell when compared to C++ etc (which is definitely true), external
>>Having said that, I've never really liked C/C++. Sure it's fast, but for
>>most people who aren't necessarily computer science doctorates, C has a
>>sharp learning curve. So we have to rely on a few geniuses in the field
>Expanding on this argument [not to be a walking MS advertisement, but avoiding
>it is becoming hard.. :) ] Visual C++ 4.0 is just as easy as visual basic with
>much more power and flexibility. In fact, with the new Foundation Classes
>(which admittedly _do_ represent a large learning curve) the GUI pretty much
>writes itself. VC even includes OpenGL support and lots of other nifty stuff
>that would help out in an editor project.
>>DLL which functions like Meddle. Then you get the VB people like myself
>>to write interfaces using those DLL's. So what's the result? The end
>This is actually a good idea, but stuff like this never seems to happen.

Personal opinion follows:

I gotta jump in here. I've been using Borland's Delphi since day one and have
yet to find anything that it can't do as easier than VB and just as quick as
VC++. I don't think there would be any disadvantages to using Delphi to
develop a Quake editor, and I've always considered it (Pascal) superior to C
just because the finished code is generally far more legible and therefore

VB is definatly out though, too much overhead to do anything usefull. If it
was between VC and VB, I'd be writing C code in a heartbeat. :)

Just my two cents.

-= Jim Lowell =-