Re: The GUI of Choice?

Mon, 20 May 1996 18:43:31 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 18:43:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: The GUI of Choice?

Concluding summary (as far as I am concerned):

<PRE>

| XToolkit |_Lang. | Builder | Mesa/GLUT | ---------------------------------------------------
Amulet | own | C++ | not yet | ? |
Fresco | Xt, own | C++ | ? | possible |
V | Athena | C++ | no | possible |
wxWindows | XView | C++ | yes | supported |

</PRE>

wxWindwos supports Mesa/OpenGl since mid of 1995, with GLX
(Linux/SGI), and with NT. The author of V indicated he had
not tried nor heard of any attempts, but it should work:

"The vCanvas class provides methods to retrieve both Widget
and Drawable handles for X, and HWNDs for Windows, which is
what I understand is required by OpenGL."

The same is likely to be true for Fresco. I have received
no response whatsoever from the authors of Amulet.

... and the winner is ...

In case anybody could care less: I will try wxWindows with
Linux, as the GLX-based Mesa support is the most decisive
issue. See QED :-).

b.