Re: Editor GUI design

Mike Ruete (ruetem@lafvax.lafayette.edu)
Sat, 08 Jun 1996 11:17:33 -0500 (EST)

Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 11:17:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Mike Ruete <ruetem@lafvax.lafayette.edu>
Subject: Re: Editor GUI design
To: quake-dev@gamers.org

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Bernd Kreimeier wrote:

> This should work within one window as well, with 1 and 4 overlayed
> Drawing Panes, or am I mistaken. Anyway, the basic idea is sound:
> each renderer is one object with one (part of) the window. I loathe
> the windowitis that drowns my desktop in a dozen separate ones,
> though.

If you mean like what WinTex does, I hate that two. What I had
in mind was something where you have a main view window, and that window
is subdivided into smaller windows. Also, I'm not too familiar with
XWindow, so I may have no clue what you're talking about. :)

> I agree. Think of (approximations) of pipes/spheres/tanks. It
> does not look like creating a six- or many-sided pillar is a
> on-stop-shop task in QuakeEd.

Speaking of which... Back to the idea of primitives. All
primitives should have a "root" point/axis, and there should be plenty of
options for aligning that within your level. A couple methods that
spring to mind are setting the root point of the primitive on the
endpoint/intersection of an edge, and aligning the axis
parallel/perpendicular to an existing edge. Also, rotating a primitve
about its root axis should probably be the final step in primitive insertion.

-Mike Ruete