Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:03:22 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:03:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

From: Rob Shields [ ADMIN - please do not do full quotes - b. ]

>Bernd Kreimeier wrote:

>> Does anybody know what kind of palette matching algorithm DMVIEW
>> actually uses? Is the source available (the author around)?

>DMView did not do the palette matching, I did.
>If there were no exact matches, I found the closest one by using
>an adapted version of the distance formula,
> ((r2-r1)^2)+((g2-g1)^2)+((b2-b1)^2))^(1/2).
>I wrote the program in QuickBASIC 4.5 for ease of debugging, and I
>can post the source code here if you want.

Not necessary, but I would appreciate confirmation of the exact
matching formulae. What does "adapted" mean? Remark: the distance
formulae above does not take into account the human eye's differing
sensibility for the base colors - usually, we are most sensitive for
varying Green, and far less for Blue. This should change some of the
matches (and results). Have you tried e.g. the 2/3/1 weighted formulae,
or something else (some day I will try HSV just for curiosities sake),
or the straight 1/1/1 weights only?

b.

Btw.: perhaps we should postpone further experimentation until the
final Quake palette is available.