Re: Planes Vs Polygons

Matt Houser (
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:47:59 -0400 (EDT)

From: Matt Houser <>
Subject: Re: Planes Vs Polygons
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:47:59 -0400 (EDT)

In the production of 'Shaker' I use the conversion from planes to
polygons only for display purposes...
Why? So I don't have to calculate the planes back later for saving to
map files... also, because it's easier to make sure things are coplanar
when you work with planes than it is when working with vertices or lines.
Some people may have get used to it but it's the best safeguard for
coplanarity (a word?)

The conversion to vertices and polygons is only for the user to see what
he's doing, to see how planes interact with each other... I see no other
real purpose that doesn't really screw up the simplicity.

Take for example a cube. If you manipulate just one of the vertices,
you'll screw up the co-planarity of atleast 1 side... If you "push" and
"pull" the planes, you ensure things are coplanar.

Matt Houser                   IRC: Fisty
-- "After all this time, fruit salid still starts with an 'F'!"