Re: Quake-edit API, Shareware vs Reg.

Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:30:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:30:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: Quake-edit API, Shareware vs Reg.

>Another question has come to mind: How will level editors be
>able to produce MAPs that only work with registered versions
>of quake and NOT the shareware?
>I hoped id would have solved that problem for us and just
>disabled the loading of external maps in the shareware version,

John Carmack seems to have done the Proof Of Purchase check
he mentioned once. In principle, it should be impossible now
to load any maps despite the shareware maps.

In consequence, tweaking the shareware to load any other BSP
file is only possible by violating the license. I'd appreciate
if this is not discussed on the list. As for the POP check,
this is a relief - we do not have to worry about keeping maps
from working with shareware. This is a Good Thing.

The drawback is there will be no check for level editing
tools till the registered version ships.

b.