Re: Standard configuration file

Brian K. Martin (brian@phyast.pitt.edu)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:00:11 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Brian K. Martin" <brian@phyast.pitt.edu>
Subject: Re: Standard configuration file
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:00:11 -0400 (EDT)

> What I am proposing is a standard config file which *all* editors and
> utilities use to get info on their settings and peoples Quake location and
> prefs etc.
>
> [quake]
> loc=c:/quake
> pak=c:/quake/id1/pak0.pak # Or whatever the name of reg pak may be
>
> This file (quake.ini ? editing.ini ?)
> could be kept in the Quake dir, or perhaps in C:\ (messy) or in the path
> somewhere. It should really be findable wherever the user is when running
> their editor, encouraging people to edit files not in their Quake dir :-)

What is the use of the ini file in the quake directory? how could you
find the file if you move the directory? I think if you just have a
.cfg file in the utility directory it is fine. Every editor is gonna
have different needs. It will just be a mess trying to standardize it.

On the otherhand, I would like to see a standard way for everyone to
store their brushes (a brush file). I haven't looked at the quake ed
source, but I would like to have this standard. Then I can make a brush
editor, and all the map editors could use each others brushes.

brian