Re: My Quake Editor

Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:25:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:25:58 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: My Quake Editor

>Jon wrote:
>>standard brush file format
>What's wrong with using the .MAP format to make up brushes though?

Exactly. See Info(9) posted to this list. The MAP file format
is well suited to store single brushes, brush templates, groups
of brushes (notably needed for rooms :) and templates of the latter.

>using a BSP to turn a non-convex solid into brushes

While looking for 2D polygon partition (for WAD2MAP) I got the
impression that solving this for 3D will be less than fun. Thus
the BSP might be a good idea, but it will introduce splits in
what the level creator wants to be a single surface.

How does QuakeEd handle the splitting of the result of a CSG
operation (Boolean operation on two brushes like carving will
not produce Brushes)? Has anybody taken a close look?

>import LWO

Is this significantly easier than 3DS or DXF? LW does export at
least one of the latter, IIRC.

>Matt Houser wrote

>I thought that a separate Brush editor would be beneficial...

A Brush editor seems not very different from a Map editor (as
Brushes are best stored like MAPs :). There are certain GUI
modes that work best on a single brush, though (i.e. split
a vertex to create a facet, or move plane along normal, etc.).
If CDE for Linux ever gets delivered, and I get anything decent
done, I hope to have QED being at least an imaginative single
brush editing tool...

How about a plugin interface for brush editing ;-).

>Jon again:
> Hopefully, I'll have a decently fast perspective
>texturemapper in my engine by the end of the week.

Be sure to get Chris Hecker's articles and source (start in the
papers section of the QuakeDev pages). This is the single best
and most thorough texture mapper I have seen, and it should be
very fast as well.

b.